Monday, December 9, 2013

Stray (Poem 251)

You don't have to stay, but I saw
your eyes when I came home 
tonight. Were you expecting a little
private dinner, a tête–à–tête, 
perhaps? Were you attracted, 
moth-like, to my warmth? 
Or was it the softness of my gaze,
my smile, my whisper? Your long 
legs, the luscious browns and tans 
of you, and gorgeous, sweeping 
hair are alluring, I'll admit. 
The more I saw, the more 
I wanted you for my own. 
But, alas, I am not free. 
You are two too late. Unless-- 
I could convince them that you'll 
help around the house. 
You know, make yourself useful...play 
a few games, keep them entertained. 
I think they'd come to like having you
around. I know I would. No, you don't 
have to stay but I made up a bed 
for you, just in case...

(c) 2013, by Hannah Six

No comments:

Post a Comment