Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Browsing (Day 1111)


The sun is shining on our table 

outside, in the corner of the patio. 

Are you there, looking for me? 


Shade slides across pavement 

as afternoon fades into evening, 

heat melting into a softness 

that quiets the city’s heartbeat.

Are you still waiting for me? 


Nearby, in a brick-walled shop, 

shelves lean under the weight 

of aging books, tended by an old 

gray cat and a cantankerous man.

Maybe I will find you here?


Perhaps you page through a slim 

volume of poetry, or admire faded

watercolors of the California coast. 

Have you found what you sought? 


As I approach, your eyes focus more 

slowly than they used to, then 

sparkle in sudden recognition. 

How will we find each other now?


You browse slowly, so I wander 

with you, companionably, until 

we succumb to the cafe’s siren call. 

Could we visit it, just once more? 


Someday, for you, for me, there 

will be no more waiting. We will

take, forever, our own sweet time.


© 2020, by Hannah Six


No comments:

Post a Comment