Friday, May 1, 2020

Into submission (Day 1198)

Clouds move in, 

bringing a chill to the afternoon. 

In the kitchen, the dishwasher 

surges rhythmically.

And, brow furrowed, I am trying 

to coax words into submission, 

by pretending 

they have already been written .


The dog is waiting at the door, 

urging me to follow.

Upstairs, neighbors argue 

and drag furniture across their floor.

And, breathing shallowly, I am trying 

to coerce words into submission,

by threatening their very existence

on the page.


A friend calls, but I cannot answer.

Outside, a man mows the deep grass, 

mounds of fragrant cuttings in his wake.

And, fists clenched, I am trying 

to beat words into submission, 

by flattening them 

with a large wooden mallet.


The sun moves toward the valley’s 

western rim. 

Somewhere, an owl calls, a cardinal, 

a wren. 

Despairing of ever wrangling those 

iron-willed words into submission, 

I walk away. 

And so they fall neatly into place.


(c) 2020 by Hannah Six


No comments:

Post a Comment