Saturday, June 13, 2020

Slightly crushed (Day 1241)


I remember being underwater

and how your face wavered 

beyond the surface


you were laughing   lifting me out

my hair streaming   

and I shivered in my T-shirt


looking away (few knew you 

were so gallant)  you enveloped me 

in your denim jacket  


I remember how warmth lingered 

in that shearling collar   

your scent   dusky as pine trees 


baking in the summer sun   

smoky as the Marlboros   always 

stuffed in your chest pocket   


when you disappeared 

they were all you left behind

and   half ashamed   I hid them


and when the missing threatened 

to sweep me out to sea  

I opened the box    slightly crushed


and smoked them   one by one   

breathing you in   wondering 

if   at that moment   


you were doing the same while

perhaps   remembering how

my face wavered below the surface


(c) 2020 by Hannah Six

No comments:

Post a Comment