Thursday, October 15, 2020

What happened in the orchard (Day 1365)


It was a leaf   red or orange or 

golden as an autumn day   that brushed 

against my hair as we wandered 

up the road   that landed 

in my hair   there   in the orchard 

on the road toward home

while we were walking


It was a leaf   caught on a cold damp 

wind whipping off the bay   

caught in tangled branches on 

a golden autumn day

as we made our way toward home   

the lane was dappled 

by the sun   and a leaf   caught 

in my hair   there   in the orchard 

on the road toward home

where we were walking


It was a not a leaf   

caught in my wind-tossed hair   

that web of gold bleached by 

the summer sun   and not a leaf 

that brushed against me

as we made our slow way home

there   amid the apple trees

when I reached up 

to brush a leaf away  


It was a wasp

busy doing what wasps will do 

on the just-cool brink of fall   

who stung me 

as most wasps will   too   when 

one assumes they are just leaves

caught up in wind-whipped hair

who stung me   there   

between my fingers

in the unkempt orchard we passed 

through   on the road toward home

when we were walking


© 2020 by Hannah Six


No comments:

Post a Comment