Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Simple Matter (Day 435)



I am told 
  it’s a simple matter 
      to grow old.
To grow old but 
   to want 
      to look
  a certain way
  at younger men
  and be looked at in return.
To want to look 
  at photos
    of people who are alive
      not at the dead ends
      of my long-lost friends.
I feel too big 
  to become so small. 
I feel too hard 
  to become so soft,
too young 
  to become invisible
yet.
I am assured 
that even if 
I am alone   which I expect 
I will be    since you left me
that   
there will be 
some charity or other
  to drop in on me 
    as I knit socks by the window.
But that isn’t 
how I want it 
to be.


(c) 2018, by Hannah Six

Image: Vincent van Gogh, Scheveningen Woman Knitting, watercolor on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment