Monday, October 1, 2018

Not My Entertainment (Day 621)


Your nightmare is not 
    my entertainment
your thirst is not quenched 
    by my need 
       to know
and my judgment does
   not feed your children
when you reach out 
   in supplication
   in sorrow 
   in anger 
to ask  grab  take 
what you must have 
I am not deprived 
of my shelter  my dinner  my sense
   of futility
and you never see me 
    reaching  
       to drag you 
          from that shrieking deluge 
to offer you 
my dinner  my bed  my heart
   cracks and breaks 
      like the ground beneath your feet
but that 
neither helps nor comforts
   you   need
what I have 
   here is a complex puzzle 
      to which every answer 
      is both
      right and wrong
and the distance between us 
is brief 
    as the final song 
       of summer’s last cricket




Dedicated to all victims of the earthquake and tsunami that 
struck the island of Sulawesi, in Indonesia, on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018.


(c) 2018, by Hannah Six

Image: Beach near Palu, on Sulawesi in Indonesia 
(Trollderella/Wikimedia Commons CC BY-SA 3.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment