Thursday, December 26, 2019

A poem slipped in (Day 1071)

I left the door open, and a poem 

slipped in. Starved for attention, thin 

as paper, crumpled and rattling, it hid 

in a corner of my room and waited, 

patiently, for me to slow down, or 

perhaps I would drift into a reverie, 

where it might find me, and lead me 

down a winding path. Soon enough, 

I paused near a window, to watch 

the afternoon sunlight falling, just so, 

through a curtain of leaves, and the poem 

pounced. Is it any wonder, that I found 

myself, pen in hand, scribbling furiously 

to capture the fleeting creature before 

it flew away? Is it any wonder that, ever 

since, I find myself lingering 

near a certain window, 

at a certain time of day? 


(c) 2019, by Hannah Six

Image: Konstantin Somov, Open door on a garden (1934),

oil on canvas, via Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment