Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I Am Not (Poem 274)

I am not stay in bed to keep warm 'cause the electric bill can't be paid.

I am not better make this food last because there's no more until next payday.

I am not lock the door and don't you answer for any reason, because mama's got to work late tonight and a babysitter costs too damn much.

I am not I can't afford the rent (again)--what am I going to do?

I am not hotel bombed in Africa, at least 11 killed. 

I am not just come on over, because our internet and phone got turned off.

I am not went in to work at eight, got laid off at nine, and was driving home by 10 a.m.

I am not who do those people think they are, expecting us to just sit back and watch while they [insert inequity of choice here].

I am not your benefits have been denied, Merry Christmas.

I am not
And yet I am
Because they are

(c) 2013, by Hannah Six

No comments:

Post a Comment