Friday, August 17, 2018

The Lilac Room (Day 576)

That was the year I wanted to paint 
my bedroom the precise pale lilac 
of a floral print on a beautiful pillow 
I found on clearance in a local boutique. 
But, worried lavender would look silly, 
I settled for a nice sky blue, and that 
only on a single “accent” wall.
That bedroom is far behind me, 
but I still have the little pillow.
Now and then, I look at it and think 
about that devastating year, and how
it might have been a little sweeter
if I could have enjoyed my lilac room, 
if I had trusted my purest instincts, 
if I had found a way to say Yes to myself. 
And, I wonder:  To how many other 
yesses might that choice have led me?


(c) 2018, by Hannah Six

Image: Mary Cassatt, Lilacs in a Window (1880), 
oil on canvas, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment